HYDRAULICS: Principles and Circuits
This unit is designed to familiarize trainees with the principles of hydraulic system operation and the components and operation of some typical hydraulic circuits. After completing this unit, trainees should be able to explain how force is transmitted through a liquid and how pressure and flow are related in a hydraulic system. They should also be able to describe the main concepts and basic operation of several types of hydraulic circuits.
- Explain what a liquid is and how liquids differ from solids and gases.
- Explain how force is transmitted through a liquid.
- Define the following terms: pressure, head, atmospheric pressure, vacuum, laminar flow, turbulent flow, velocity, and flow rate.
- Describe the relationship between pressure and flow in a hydraulic system.
- List the main components of a basic hydraulic circuit and describe the function of each component.
- Describe the basic operation of an automatic venting circuit.
- Describe the basic operation of an accumulator circuit.
- Describe the basic operation of a regenerative circuit.
- • Principles
- - Characteristics of Liquids
- - Pressure and Flow
- • Circuits
- - Circuit Components
- - Typical Hydraulic Circuits