DIAGRAMS: Basic Diagrams and Symbols 1
This interactive training unit is designed to introduce trainees to plant system diagrams and diagram symbols. After completing this unit, trainees should be able to identify and describe the purpose of several kinds of system diagrams, and be able to describe the information found on each type. Trainees should also be able to identify symbols commonly used on flow diagrams, and how to use a flow diagram to trace the flow paths of a system.
- Types of Diagrams
- Identify and describe the purpose of equipment arrangement diagrams, elevation drawings, piping system (flow) diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), electrical diagrams, and legends.
- In general terms, describe the information found on each type of diagram.
- Flow Diagram Symbols
- Identify some basic symbols associated with flow diagrams.
- Identify symbols commonly used to represent components in flow diagrams.
- Describe the basic operation of the components typically found in a fluid system.
- Reading Diagram Symbols
- Identify the four basic parts of a system.
- Identify the components of a typical fluid system and relate them to their symbols and functions.
- • Types of Diagrams
- - Equipment Location Diagrams
- - System Diagrams
- • Flow Diagram Symbols
- - Tanks, Pumps, and Valves
- - Actuators
- - Heat Exchangers
- • Reading Diagram Symbols
- - Block Diagrams
- - Flow Diagrams